The Community of St John the Baptist is also known as the Stavropegic Monastery of St John the Baptist and in this policy shall be referred to as “the Monastery”.
The Monastery respects your privacy and is committed to protecting your personal data. This policy will inform you as to how we collect, process and look after your personal data when you visit our Online Bookshop (regardless of where you visit it from) and tell you about your privacy rights and how the law protects you. We also use the word “site” in this policy to refer to our Online Bookshop.
Our Online Bookshop is not intended for children and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children.
If you have any questions about this policy, including any requests to exercise your legal rights, please contact the Data Protection Officer using the details set out below:
Data Protection Officer, Community of St John the Baptist, The Old Rectory, Rectory Road, Tolleshunt Knights, by Maldon, Essex CM9 8EZ. Tel: 01621 816 471. Fax: 01621 810 079
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO, so please contact us in the first instance.
The Data we collect about You
When you visit our Online Bookshop and browse, create an account and place an order and when you communicate with us via the contact us facility we may collect, use, store, and transfer different kinds of personal data about you such as:
- Identity Data: name, title, gender, account login details including your username and password and where relevant your Church affiliation
- Contact Data: billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone numbers and gift recipients where we are fulfilling a gift purchase
- Financial Data: bank account details and payment card details
- Transaction Data: details about payments to and from you and what you have purchased from our Online Bookshop
- Technical Data: internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, and other technology on the devices you use to access our site
- Usage Data: as you interact with our site, we will automatically collect data about your browsing actions and patterns such as wish lists and recently viewed products
- Third parties or publicly available sources. we will receive data about you from third party analytics providers such as Google Analytics which help us to identify the geographical location of those who access our site, how long they spend on the site, what device they used to access the site, etc.
How do we use your Data?
We will use your data in order to:
- register you as a new customer
- fulfil your order including to process a payment or refund and delivery
- correspond with you regarding an order you have placed or when you send us a message via the contact us facility
- where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation
- to send you our newsletter if you subscribe to our mailing list
- for our legitimate interests in relation to the management and administration of the Online Bookshop (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, system maintenance, support, reporting and hosting of data) and to use data analytics to improve our site, products, customer relationships and experience.
If we need to use your personal data for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Please note that we may process your personal data without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
How we protect your Personal Data
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those members of the Monastery who are directly involved in the management, administration or regulation of our Online Bookshop and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality. Please note:
- we do not have access to your bank or payment card details. We use Stripe to process payments and refunds in a secure way
- your account will be password protected and we do not have access to your password.
- sign in to your account and move away from the site and return at another time, your sign in details will be remembered so you will not need to sign in again
- add items to your shopping basket or wish list, those items will be stored and remembered for you when you return.
- move around our site, your activity and preferences will be captured and remembered.
You can block cookies by changing the settings on your browser but this may mean that you will not have full access to our site. You can also through your browser settings, at any time delete cookings that are stored on your device and associated with our site.
Third Party Websites
We cannot be held liable for any loss or damage incurred from third party websites or social media platforms providing links to our Online Bookshop without our consent. Please also be aware that such links may not be genuine.
If you subscribe to our mailing list, we will send you our newsletter from time to time to inform you of our new publications. In general, however, we do not send out unsolicited marketing material and we will not use your contact details to send you marketing or promotional material. Neither will we share your details with third parties to be used for marketing purposes.
You may opt-out of receiving our newsletter by asking us to remove your name and email from our mailing list. You can do this by emailing us at email@example.com or click unsubscribe at the bottom of one of the emails we have sent you.
We will only retain your personal data for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, regulatory, tax, accounting or reporting requirements. We may retain your personal data for a longer period in the event of a complaint.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means.
In some circumstances, we will anonymise your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes, in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
Your Legal Rights
Under certain circumstances, you have rights under data protection laws in relation to your personal data. If you would like to request access, correction, erasure, restriction of processing of your personal data or if you would like to object to the processing of your personal data, please contact us.