“… By means of prayer, the energy of the true God penetrates man’s being and endows him with the strength to strive for the fulfillment of his calling. The longer he remains in prayer, the greater is his resistance to whatever corrupts or hinders the flow of its action. Prayer generates prayer. The work of this striving is sublime and creative, full of wisdom and inspiration, beauty and majesty.
In the heart, which is the place where God’s communion with man is cultivated, the Spirit of God is revealed, operates and prays. The heart’s opening up in prayer heals man’s personhood. Man’s mind is concentrated in, and becomes united with, the heart. Thus the heart is enlarged to contain all the fullness of Christ’s love. Consequently, the entire struggle in prayer has as its aim the discovery and conquest of the heart… ”.
1. St Silouan the Athonite and his disciple the Elder Sophrony
2. Man’s Birth into Eternal Life
3. ‘Keep Thy Mind in Hell and Despair Not’
4. God’s Work of Salvation and Man
5. Prayer – The Way of Creation
6. On the Jesus Prayer
7. Spiritual Fatherhood as a Ministry of Reconciliation Between Man and God
8. The Presentation of Christ that Justified God and Man
On Monasticism II
Index of Scriptural References
Index of Names and Subjects